Walking. Perhaps one of the greatest paths to wellness. It helps with fitness, energy, weight control, stress relief, and more. Almost everyone can do it.
Most adults do 3000-5000 steps a day. The general and widely-used target is 10 000 steps a day. We think 8000 a day is a realistic initial goal. How many steps are you doing? There are many ways to walk more, here are 5 simple ideas:
- Park further away and walk.
- Take 5 or 10-minute breaks and walk a quick loop around the house or office.
- Walk the dog. Or get a dog.
- Go to the beach, or the park, or round the neighbourhood.
- A quick 15-30 minute walk is a great way to start your day.
We are sure you can think of at least 5 more good ideas that will work for you, and then you have 10 ideas to try…
You do not need fancy gear for this. Comfortable shoes are important – no high heels please. Dedicated walking or running shoes are best but a simple comfortable shoe is fine for all but very long walks.
What’s stopping you?